Monday 25 July 2011

It's still July!

Well, this is a bit better..............I had intended to post every couple of days, but this last month or so have just been so busy or I've not been well! The latest hurdle to get over was conor's 10th birthday party............all up there were 10 children aged 9 or 10 years old, running around our little cottage................it was a good day though! I had the party time set for between 1 and 4 pm...............the last of the kids left at 4:30pm and I collapsed on the couch - I didn't wake up until almost 10pm!!
Now thats over, I can concentrate on more of the Donegal research. Today I was checking on the status of some books I've ordered - I use EBay, Amazon.com, ABE.com and Alibris to do a periodical search on any new or old books which have become available and which I can afford! Occassionally the price is just too high, which is when I resort to the library for an inter library loan - I can then have the book for a month and scan the sections I want from it.............that was the case with 'In Praise of Ulster' which I've just finished scanning. Sometimes people have copies of books I am after and although they won't part with them, they offer to copy/scan the book so I can have a copy until I do find one to buy. Colleen did that today with one book I've been after for ages - yay!
I seem to be stuck on Killaghtee parish these last 2 weeks..............not stuck, as in don't know what to do next - stuck in that whatever I do, I always wind up back doing something on Killaghtee! I completely stumbled across Brid Ward's excellent book on St John's Point, then I had some email queries about different families from that parish.............then I was learning and playing some tunes from 'A Dossan of Heather' - Irish traditional music from Packie Manus Byrne..........it comes with a cd, so where I can't read the score well enough to get the tune, I can listen to it on the cd! I have Packie's book 'Recollections of a Donegal Man' so, I thought I'd have the cd playing, while I read some of it again..............it sarts with an Introduction and the 4th paragraph says that Packie was born in Corkermore, 'in the parish of Killybegs, ten miles or so inland from that picturesque fishing port'...........hmmmm, Corkermore...........Corker More? I drag out the maps and consult my townlands database.............yes, there it is - Corker More, Killaghtee Parish! It is right where it's shown to be in the book, but it is part of Killaghtee Parish. THIS is what I mean about being stuck on Killaghtee parish, and no doubt, I will soon have more emails for other Killaghtee families, or I will be doing something totally unconnected to Killaghtee - and end up right back there again. I DO have alot I should be working on for Killaghtee - there's graveyards (inscriptions and photos) to add, and more beside that.
Well, I will make a start and link Packie Manus to a place on my main Killaghtee page - under people to start with, with a link to Roger Millington Publishing, which has a website dedicated to Packie and his works in both stories and music.
Before that, I need to see to an email...........it's the kind that make me go 'grrrrrr' and not many things can do that. Its along the lines of 'I saw you have my great grandparents names on your website. You may link my name to them.' and 'I'm researching Gallagher from Donegal', or 'John Gallagher and Mary Sweeney are my ancestors.' No please, thankyous and really, I'm not even told exactly what they want me to do! These emails are short, one line emails, without any clue for me to know who the heck they're talking about or even the parish involved - sometimes not even the names of the ancestors..........ho hummmm...........
Never a dull moment!

4 comments:

  1. hi Lindel, I've been meaning to let you know about the recent release of a book by Richard Reid called "Farewell my Children". It is based on his thesis but that does not make it dense academic writing and impenetrable. It's also not expensive, another plus! What I like about Richard's articles is how he uses individual examples to highlight his point. At any rate the book has a whole chapter on the Donegal Relief Fund and references to Tullaghobegly etc throughout. This is of interest to me as I did my grandson's other family line -the O'Briens and Duggans/Doogan from Bedlam who came on the Sapphire.

    Speaking of Gallagher --could you please add me to your database in reference to Biddy Gallagher aka Gollagher, the Irish Famine Orphan who came to Australia in 1848 on the Lady Kennaway. I'm going to blog about her in the coming days. I appreciate this is a wildcard but if someone else does get in touch then please feel free to pass on my email. Many thanks.

    Happy researching and indexing and may you one day escape from Killaghtee! Pauleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindel ~ First I want to thank you for the thousands of hours you have put into the Donegal Resources site. I refer to it often. I have to laugh at your comment regarding "John Gallagher", as both my gr-grandfather and gr-gr-grandfather were named that. Oh, and they were involved with horses. Not much to go on! Those pesky Gallaghers immigrated to Philadelphia in 1892, which wasn't any help since Philly is full of Gallaghers! At least my gr-grandfathers wife was born with the last name McPaul. Very, very unusual, and your site has provided me with much information.

    Again, thank you so much for all you do. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura! My gr gr grandfather was John O'Donnell - his father was John..........his first son was John - and the first sons of all his brothers was a John.......In Augullies, a tiny townland near Dungloe, where there never was more than 7 houses, there were FIVE John O'Donnells in just two of the houses in 1860! My family consists of O'Donnells, Gallaghers and Dohertys........all Johns and Hughs.........with a few Sweeneys thrown into the mix.
    At least with a name like McPaul, you've a chance to find your lot :-)
    Thanks for leaving your comment - and thanks to Pauleen too!! I know of Richard Reid's work from a long way back, but I hadn't heard of that book..........must look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete