Wednesday 20 July 2011

What an interesting month.............

Not! Everyone (except me, for a change) managed to get a cold, so there were runny noses and the misery of sniffles and temperatures for me to see to. I don't think there was a day for a fortnight that I didn't have one or other of my boys under foot all day - but they were all good patients at least! Then the inevitable - they all got well and returned to work and school, while I have been laid low with a doozy of a cold! And who is here to look after me?? Hmmm - well, they did point out that by NOT being here, they were in a way 'helping' - and they are right! At least when they were all out of the house, I could rest for a while - no dramas to see to for Liam, no questions to answer for Conor, and no dogs let out or doors left open by my husband.
It did mean that I have fallen way behind with all the updates and projects I have for my website, and emails are piling up............I will get to them soon though - just need my get up and go to show up!
I have enjoyed collecting a few new books these past weeks, and I've spent some time on the dog licence registers too. One thing about them - I find it amazing that anyone in Donegal, in the 1850s and 60s, could have kept a Newfoundland! I expected to see terriers, collies, and curs, but Mastiffs and Newfoundlands were a surprise! In 1866 in Seaview, Ardara, John Hamilton kept one, as did Rev John McAuley over in Kilross, Rev Richard Smyth at the Killea Rectory, William McCormick Esq of Mason Lodge, Pat Glackin of Ballyhaskey, and Thomas Barry of Grange, to name a few..............there were also half breed Newfoundlands - Thomas Magee of Aghasheil being just one.
Newfoundlands were originally bred and used as a working dog for fishermen in the Dominion of Newfoundland, now part of Canada. They are known for their giant size, tremendous strength, calm dispositions, and loyalty. Newfoundland dogs excel at water rescue/lifesaving due to their muscular build, thick double coat, webbed feet, and innate swimming abilities. They weigh about 160 pounds and can stand 30 inches tall!
Well, there will be more tomorrow - hopefully i'm back on track with the blog now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment